Frequently Asked Questions
A vehicle identification number (VIN) is a standardized 17 character identifier that specifically identifies your vehicle. Each VIN is unique. They are alpha numeric but do not include the letters “O”, “Q”, or “I” to avoid any confusion. If you have a car that was built prior to 1981, the VIN will be between 11-17 characters.
Most vehicles have multiple places where the VIN number is located. Here are some of the common places to look to locate the VIN:
- On the door frame or post of the front driver’s door
- On the dash near the windshield on the driver’s side
- On the machine pad in front of the engine
- On the vehicles firewall
- In the left hand inner wheel arch
- On the steering wheel/steering column
- On the radiator support bracket
- On the vehicle’s title, registration, guarantee maintenance book
- Under the dash
Unlike the VIN, vehicle trim codes are not standardized across the industry but are generally standardized by vehicle manufacturer. Below is a general guide for the identification of your vehicles trim code.
Ford – These are almost always located on the production date sticker which is located on the inside part of the driver’s door or on the pillar of the driver’s door latching area. It will say “INT TR” and then the two digit code will be directly below it. Sometimes, it is not listed on this sticker.
GM – These are almost always located in the trunk, either on the spare tire cover (cardboard piece, lift it up), or on the inside part of the lid. Some vehicles, such as Camaro, have a tendency to be on the driver or passenger door. The one with the letter I is the interior trim. For trucks it is almost always located in the glove box. For Vans it is almost always located in one of the access panels in the rear trim piece back by the liftgate/doors. This can be on either side of the vehicle. Full size vans as well.
Chrysler/Dodge – Almost always located on the inside part of the driver’s door or on the pillar where the driver’s door latches. Identifiable by the label TRM: it is a 4 digit combination.
Honda – Almost always located on the inside part of the driver’s door or on the pillar for the driver’s door. There is a separate tag from the VIN/Prod date for Interior & Exterior color codes normally identified by Int. Color and Ext. Color.
Nissan and Mitsubishi – Check the inside of the driver’s door or pillar. There is also usually a plate attached to the firewall that has trim code information and can be identified by Color Trim.
Toyota – Almost always found on the inside of the driver’s door or pillar for the driver’s door. Normally identified by the C/TR.
KIA – Almost always found on the inside of the driver’s door or pillar for the driver’s door. Normally identified by the INT.TRIM.
DO NOT MEASURE RIM OR HUBCAP SIZE
A tape measure will give you the WRONG size! It will measure a little over an inch larger than the actual wheel size.
Rim size is the Diameter of the BEAD of the TIRE, which cannot be measured without removing the tire from the rim.
All tires have a “Size Series” printed on them that contains the wheel / rim size. This series of numbers usually begins with a P (for Passenger) or LT (for Light Truck)
Examples: P185/70/R15. LT225/80/R16.
In this designation the two digit number following the R denotes the Rim / wheel diameter is 15 inches. The R itself actually means it is a Radial tire.
The diagram below, from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, shows the rest of the information printed on tires. This website also includes much more tire safety information, and is worth a visit: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Our recycled parts are not junk! These parts are Original Equipment and are harvested from vehicles purchased primarily from insurance auction. The parts are then tested for quality and provide an economical and Eco-friendly alternative to buying new. Repair your vehicle with reliable recycled parts!
- True and accurate mileage reported on all mechanical parts. – M&M will always disclose the actual mileage reading on the vehicle and we are willing to back it up in writing.
- Total disclosure of damage. – If there is any damage present on the part you are buying you can count on your M&M salesperson to let you know before you buy.
- A commitment to the environment. – M&M has been “green” from the very beginning of our business over 50 years ago. We continue to find ways to recycle more and more components from every vehicle, and we process all our vehicles using the very latest in environmentally friendly methods.
We have a 101- day “hassle free” warranty. That means that you may return any part purchased from us, for any reason, for a complete refund. Refunds are given in the same method they were paid, so if you used a credit card, the refund will go back on the card.
Be careful of other automotive recyclers that will only give you “in store credit.” Always ask a yard what their return policy is as they can vary greatly.
- Read and follow all warranty and installation requirements provided on your invoice and all attached documentation.
- All warranty claims must be accompanied by the original invoice.
- Warranty is void if the parts have been improperly installed or have been disassembled prior to return.
- If M&M Auto Parts is unable exchange your mechanical part within a reasonable time, we will refund the original purchase price of your part.
- You will be required to return to M&M Auto Parts the defective or malfunctioning mechanical part free and clear of any liens and other expenses, such as transportation, packing and installation relating to the exchange or replacement of your mechanical part.
- Warranty is limited to original purchaser.
- There is no refund or replacement on parts sold “as is”.
- Engine assemblies are understood to consist of a short block assembly and cylinder head(s). Any other parts left on the engine assembly at the time of sale are included for possible purchaser’s convenience only and are to be used at the purchaser’s option only. These parts are not covered under the warranty.
- Transmission front and rear seals are not covered. Replacement of these seals is recommended. Transmission lines and radiator lines must be completely flushed of all existing debris.
Approved refunds will be made to customer under the following terms:
- Original invoice must accompany all returns. Returns after the warranty period are at management’s discretion and may be subject to a restocking fee.
- Refunds will be for the same legal tender as the original purchase (i.e. cash for cash, credit card for credit card, check for check).
- Refunds for invoices paid by check will not be issued until 14 days following original purchase date.
- All cores must be returned within 30 days, drained of all fluids and complete as sold for refund of core credit.
We accept cash, checks, PayPal, MasterCard, Visa and Discover.
A core charge is a deposit until you return your old part. There are generally two reasons for a core charge:
- The item you are purchasing is dangerous to the environment if disposed of improperly. By charging a core charge we provide you with an incentive to return the old part for proper disposal.
- The item you are purchasing has multiple components or may be rebuilt thus reducing the environmental impact. An example would be an engine. When you replace an engine there are components of the engine that may leak fluids that are harmful to the environment, other components may still be usable. By charging a core charge when that part is returned we refund your core charge and we can appropriately dispose of all hazardous materials and recycle those components that are recyclable.
M&M Auto Parts Stafford is conveniently located 5 ½ miles north of Fredericksburg, Virginia and 2 ½ miles south of Stafford Court House on U.S. Route 1.
From Washington DC / Points North: Take I-95 south to the Stafford Exit #140. Turn left at the bottom of the exit ramp onto Rt 630 and travel east to U.S. Route 1. Turn right onto U.S. Route 1 and continue south 2 ½ miles. M & M will be on your right.
From Richmond VA / Points South: Take I-95 north to the Stafford Regional Airport Exit # 136. At bottom of ramp, turn right onto Cenrtrport Parkway and continue to U.S. Route 1. Turn right onto U.S. Route 1 and continue 2 ½ miles north. M & M will be on your left at 1489 Jefferson Davis Highway, Fredericksburg, VA. 22405
M&M Auto Parts Fredericksburg is conveniently located just off Route 3 in Fredericksburg, Virginia about 2.6 mile off I 95 and 1 mile off U. S. Route 1
From Washington DC / Points North: Take I-95 south to the Route 3 East (Plank Road) Exit # 130A. At the end of the exit ramp merge onto Route 3 East, continue for 2.6 miles and turn right onto Belman Road and continue for .3 miles. M&M will be on the left.
From Richmond VA / Points South: Take I-95 north to the Route 3 East (Plank Road) Exit # 130A. At the end of ramp merge onto Route 3 East. Continue for approximately 2.6 miles and turn right onto Belman Road and continue for .3 miles. M&M will be on the left at 1351 Belman Road, Fredericksburg, VA 22401.
Click on image to enlarge
M & M Auto Parts Tidewater is located on Canal Drive in Chesapeake, Virginia about 3 mile off I 64 and less that 1/4 mile off Military Highway U. S. 13 (Military Highway).
From Richmond VA / Points North & West: Take I-64 East to exit 264 and merge onto I664 South. Take exit 15B to merge onto I 64W toward Chesapeake/VA Beach. Continue to exit 296A US 17 North, continue for approximately 4 miles and turn right onto U. S. 17 Business South for approximately 1/2 mile and turn left onto Shell Road which becomes Canal Drive for approximately 2.5 miles, M&M Auto will be on your right.
From Elizabeth City, NC and South: Take U. S. 17 North turn right onto Shell Road which becomes Canal Drive for approximately 2.5 miles, M&M Auto will be on your right at 941 Canal Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23323.
Original Equipment Manufacturer.
Refers to the original maker (Ford, Chevrolet, GM) of the vehicle.
Replacement of the original part with a part made by the original manufacturer.
OEM parts can be either used or new.
No. M&M Auto Parts does not install parts we sell.
We do, however, have relationships with a number of shops that are certified to install the parts we sell.
We would be glad to provide you a list of shops that are local to you.